If you haven't, you should! What is oil pulling, you ask? It is an Ayurvedic practice which dates back thousands of years, unlike many health trends of today. It consists of taking about a teaspoon of sesame/coconut/sunflower oil, and swishing it around in your mouth ideally for 15-20 minutes.
Even though 20 minutes sounds like a very long time, it really isn't. I find the best practice is to distract myself with checking my mail/facebook/instagram, making some breakfast, taking a shower, or even doing some yoga stretches. Before you know it, the time flies by. You can swish for 5 minutes to start, and gradually build up. I try to oil pull daily, but even 3-4 times a week will bring you benefits.
Even though all the aforementioned oils are good for the job, I use coconut oil because it contains lauric acid, which has anti–microbial properties, as well as helps to whiten teeth. I don't have a before and after pic, but it's true :)
Other benefits of oil pulling is that it "pulls" bacteria and germs from your teeth and gums which can cause gum disease, tooth decay, as well as many other health problems such as heart disease and arthritis. It is also believed to:
- help sinuses
- alleviate headaches
- provide more energy
- prevent bad breath
- help you sleep better
- support the lymphatic system
- regulate menstrual cycle
- help ease PMS
- clear skin
- alleviate allergies
How to oil pull
- Preferably first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything, take a teaspoon of oil in your mouth, and start to swish it around. Don't work too hard as to not tire your jaw (remember, you have 20 minutes as your goal!). Coconut oil will be solid at lower temperatures, but it will melt quickly in your mouth. Make sure to choose cold–pressed raw coconut oil for the deed.
- After you're done, spit the oil in a trash can, NOT in your sink as to not clog pipes.
- Rinse your water with water, brush your teeth as usual, and you're good to go on with the rest of your day.
- Make sure to choose a high quality oil, preferably organic and cold pressed.
Have you tried oil pulling? What are your thoughts? If you haven't, try and let me know what you think.